Texts and Media About Poe & the Story
Resources to enrich the study of this text, its author, and the cultural impact of them both:
- The e-text of the story at Project Gutenberg
- e-text at The University of Virginia's American Studies Program
- Poe's "Philosophy of Composition" at The University of Virginia's American Studies Program
- The melodramatic trailer for the 1960 film starting Vincent Price.
- Trailers for the 2006 and 2008 films.
Texts on Victorian Culture We Consulted:
- Behlmer, George K. "Grave Doubts: Victorian Medicine, Moral Panic, and The Signs of Death." The Journal of British Studies 42.2 (April 2003): 206-235.
- Wood, Jane. Passion and Pathology in Victorian Fiction. Oxford: Oxford UP, 2001. Provided us with source material for a fictitious Brompton's Cyclopedia of Practical Medicine. See Wood's discussion on pp. 60-61 for the diagnosis of hypochondriasis.